70. Bruce Wayne: You’re not the devil. You’re practice.
69. Female restaurant guest: I think the Batman deserves a medal.
Earle: And a straight-jacket to pin it on.
68. Two-Face: You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel.
67. Jim: Gordon: It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.
66. Bane: Speak of the devil and he shall appear.
65. Bane: Now’s not the time for fear. That comes later.
64. Bruce Wayne: The first time I stole so that I wouldn’t starve, I lost many assumptions about the simple nature of right and wrong. And when I traveled, I learned the fear before a crime and the thrill of success. But I never became one of them.
63. Ra’s Al Ghul: A criminal is not complicated. What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power. You fear your anger, the drive to do great or terrible things.
62. Ra’s Al Guhl: Justice is balance. You burned my house and left me for dead. Consider us even.
61. Two-face: The joker chose me!
Batman: Because you were the best of us. He wanted to prove that even someone as good as you could fall.
60. Bane: Gotham, take control…take control of your city!
59. Bane: Theatricality and deception, powerful agents for the uninitiated. But we are initiated, aren’t we Bruce?
58. Rachel: Bruce…if you turn yourself in, they’re not gonna let us be together.
57. Thomas Wayne: The bats again? You know why they attacked you, don’t you? They were afraid of you.
Bruce: Afraid of me?
Thomas: All creatures feel fear.
Bruce: Even the scary ones?
Thomas: Especially the scary ones.
56. Ra’s Al Ghul: Your parents’ death was not your fault. It was your father’s.
Bruce: The man had a gun!
Al Ghul: Would that stop you?
Bruce: I’ve had training!
Al Ghul: The training is nothing. The will is everything. The will to act.
55. Rachel: You care about justice? Look beyond your own pain, Bruce. This city is rotting. People talk about the depression as if it’s history. It’s not. Things are worse than ever down here.
54. Multiple characters: Don’t be afraid, Bruce.
53. Selina Kyle: When the storm hits, you’re all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
52. Bane: Ah! I was wondering what would break first: your spirit, or your body!
51. Bane: You fight like a younger man, with nothing held back; admirable…but mistaken.
50. Bane: Age has robbed you of your strength! Victory has defeated you!
49. Harvey Dent: You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
48. Harvey Dent: The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.
47. Bruce Wayne: They told me there was nothing out there, nothing to fear. But the night my parents were murdered I caught a glimpse of something. I’ve looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searched in all the shadows. And there is something out there in the darkness, something terrifying, something that will not stop until it gets revenge…me.
46. Ra’s Al Ghul: Are you so desperate to fight criminals that you lock yourself in to take them on one at a time?
45. Ra’s Al Ghul: You have learned to bury your guilt with anger. I will teach you to confront it, and to face the truth. You know how to fight six men. We can teach you how to engage six hundred. You know how to disappear. We can teach you how to become truly invisible.
44. Ra’s Al Ghul: You were my greatest student. It should be you standing by my side, saving the world.
43. Daggett: I paid you a small fortune…
Bane: And you think this gives you power over me?
42. Bane: When Gotham is in ashes, you have my permission to die.
41. Bruce Wayne: Why didn’t you just kill me?
Bane: You do not fear death. You welcome it. Your punishment must be more severe.
40. Alfred: You crossed the line first. You squeezed them and hammered them to the point of desperation. And in that desperation, they turned to a man they didn’t fully understand.
39. Batman: This city just showed you that it’s full of people ready to believe in good.
38. James Gordon: He’s the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him because he can take it, because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian, a watchful protector…a dark knight.
37. Batman: What were you trying to prove? That deep down, everyone’s as ugly as you? You’re alone!
36. Alfred: You spat in the faces of Gotham’s worst criminals. Didn’t you think there might be some casualties? Things were always going to get worse before they got better.
35. Alfred: You are as precious to me as you were to your own mother and father. I swore to them that I would protect you, and I haven’t.
34. Bane: Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding!
33. Ra’s Al Ghul: Have you finally learned to do what is necessary?
Bruce Wayne: I won’t kill you, but I don’t have to save you.
32. Jim Gordon: We start carrying semi automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds. You’re wearing a mask and jumping off rooftops, and take this guy: armed robbery, double homicide and has a taste for the theatrical, like you; leaves a calling card.
31. Ra’s Al Ghul: You’ve traveled the world to understand the criminal mind and conquer your fears.
30. Ra’s Al Ghul: Death does not wait for you to be ready, death is not considerate or fair, and make no mistake about it, here you will face death!
29. Ra’s Al Ghul: I know the rage that drives you. That impossible anger strangling the grief until the memory of your loved one is just poison in your veins. And one day, you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed so you’d be spared your pain.
28. Bruce Wayne: I will go back to Gotham and I will fight men like this, but I will not become an executioner.
27. Joker: You just couldn’t let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible, aren’t you? You won’t kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won’t kill you because you’re just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
26. Bruce Wayne: You know that day that you once told me about, when Gotham would no longer need Batman? It’s happening now. Harvey is that hero. He locked up half of the city’s criminals, and he did it without wearing a mask. Gotham needs a hero with a face.
25. Batman: A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulders to let him know that the world hadn’t ended.
24. Bane: No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask.
23. Alfred: I won’t bury you. I buried enough members of the Wayne family.
22. Joker: I don’t want to kill you! What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No, no, no! You…complete me.
21. Bruce Wayne: People are dying, Alfred. What would you have me do?
Alfred: Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They’ll hate you for it, but that’s the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice.
20. Ra’s Al Ghul: What are you seeking?
Bruce Wayne: I seek the means to fight injustice, to turn fear against those who prey on the fearful.
19. Alfred: Why bats, Master Wayne?
Bruce Wayne: Bats frighten me. It’s time my enemies shared my dread.
18. Joker: You have nothing to threaten me with…nothing to do with all your strength.
17. Rachel: When I told you that if Gotham no longer needed Batman, we could be together, I meant it. But now I’m sure the day won’t come when YOU no longer need Batman. I hope it does, and if it does I will be there, but as your friend. I’m sorry to let you down. If you lose your faith in me, please keep your faith in people.
16. James Gordon: I never said, “Thank You.”
Batman: And you’ll never have to.
15. Alfred: Are you coming back to Gotham for long, sir?
Bruce Wayne: As long as it takes. I’m gonna show the people of Gotham their city doesn’t belong to the criminals and the corrupt.
14. Joker: All you care about is money. This city deserves a better class of criminal. And I’m gonna give it to them!
13. Blind prisoner: You do not fear death. You think this makes you strong. It makes you weak. How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death?
Bruce Wayne: I do fear death. I fear dying in here, while my city burns, and there’s no one there to save it.
12. Alfred: Took quite a fall, didn’t we, Master Bruce?
Thomas Wayne: And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.
11. Ra’s Al Ghul: You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent.
10. Selina Kyle: You don’t owe these people anymore! You’ve given them everything!
Batman: Not everything…not yet.
9. Rachel: …Then I found out about your mask.
Bruce Wayne: Batman’s just a symbol.
Rachel: No, THIS is your mask. Your real face is the one that criminals now fear. The man I loved, the man who vanished, he never came back at all. But maybe he’s still out there, somewhere. Maybe someday, when Gotham no longer needs Batman, I’ll see him again.
8. Joker: They’re only as good as the world allows them to be. I’ll show you. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they’ll eat each other. See, I’m not a monster. I’m just ahead of the curve.
7. Batman: You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. I can do those things because I’m not a hero, not like Dent. I killed those people. That’s what I can be. I’m whatever Gotham needs me to be.
6. Joker: Those mob fools want you gone so they can get back to the way things were. But I know the truth: there’s no going back. You’ve changed things…forever.
5. Batman: Sometimes the truth isn’t good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded…
4. Joker: Don’t talk like one of them. You’re not! Even if you’d like to be. To them, you’re just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don’t, they’ll cast you out.
3. Alfred: Some men aren’t looking for anything logical, like money. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
2. Ra’s Al Ghul: A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can’t stop you, then you become something else entirely.
1. Bruce Wayne: People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy and I can’t do that as Bruce Wayne, as a man I’m flesh and blood. I can be ignored. I can be destroyed, but as a symbol, I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting.